Friday, May 9, 2008

Southwest Wisconsin in NOT Flat and Don’t Believe Anyone Who Tells You Otherwise.

So we are back in the DC grind now. More work, more politics, more primaries…will it ever end?
To finish up the mid-west road trip story…after leaving Wes and Patrick in Chicago we headed to Dekalb for Rinn and Peter’s wedding (I happen to be the lamest photographer in the world and didn’t take any pictures at the wedding although I could definitely hold my own now up there with those fancy schmancy wedding photographers since I just got my new professional, white, canon zoom lens).

The wedding was beautiful and it was great to see Rinn and Peter and catch up with our friend Sarah from Boston. Makes me really miss all the fun we had in Boston.

On Sunday morning we drove up to Platteville, WI to visit Paul’s mom Esther, and for the next 2 days we were pretty much on the bikes the entire time. You may think that Wisconsin is flat (I have made that claim a number of times) BUT southwest WI was far from being flattened by the glaciers back in the day. After 25 miles of riding on Sunday and 40 miles of riding on Monday I had put both hills and wind “ON NOTICE” (ala Colbert). Four days later those two items are staying on notice until my little legs have recovered!

On the bright side there was very little traffic to worry about since throughout those 65 miles I saw, and smelled, more farms and dairy cows than I ever need to see again. And who would have thought that we would have been able to bike all the way to the Mississippi River, rescue a small snake, not find any open places to eat lunch, and 40 miles later be all the way home again beating the downpour of rain by only 15 minutes!?

For more pics of our 5 day Midwest tour go to my smugmug page here!






No comments: