Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bowling in Uganda

Even though Kisubi is only about 30 minutes from Kampala, the capital of Uganda, it’s very common for those from the village to never go. When I was here as a PCV I took Majo to the big city for her first time. Today it was Lukwago’s turn, although Majo got join as well for her second time! Margret’s son, Allen, also joined us. He currently lives in Kampala and is finishing up his Bachelor’s degree at Makerere University Business School where he received a Government scholarship for his studies. This is an amazing accomplishment. Those scholarships are extremely competitive and typically go to kids from the city, just the fact that he received this scholarship proves what a bright young man he is, although it is also obvious just by talking to him.
So upon arrival in Kampala we headed to Garden City, which was the new, swanky mall when I was here. It’s grown, but has also gotten a little run down. But, most importantly, the 6 lane bowling alley and arcade are still there. What fun that was! Trying to show Margret how to roll the ball and not lob it half way down the lane was a challenge. Majo though was quite a natural! I can say though after observing all of them play the race car arcade game, I will never be riding in a car that any of them are driving!
Waiting for the lanes to open up and looking at pictures I brought!

Drive Majo! Drive!


Lukwago practicing the boda-boda moves


Learning how to bowl...roll it don't hurl it!


The bowling party!


One of Kampala's hills. View from Garden City.


The Garden City dinosaurs


View of the new Serena Hotel from my hotel room.


The one thing about being back here though that I’m having a really hard time dealing with are the people on the street with horrible disfigurements. I really don’t remember seeing this many when I used to live here. I really hope I didn’t just get used to it and become blinded. As I was waiting for Margret and the kids to arrive in Kampala this morning a young boy came up to me leading a man with his face covered in a kerchief. As the boy came up to ask for money the man lifted the kerchief and I saw the most horrible thing I think I’ve ever seen. I don’t want to describe it, but this poor man had no hope for a future of any sort. My automatic reaction to the people asking me for money is to tell them to go away, and this I immediately did. The look that poor kid gave me just stopped me cold, it was the look of pure desperation. It took me a minute to collect myself, but I chased the kid and man down and gave them some money. So now I’ve made myself feel better, but for them, what? I hate this.

1 comment:

roselyn said...

good looking and interesting blog… it's nice to be here! Keep on nice post :)