Friday, August 22, 2014

Flash Back Friday - California, Summer of 2004

I'm going to do a flashback from the US! Welcome to California the summer of 2004. 

After Paul and I finished Peace Corps in Uganda and spent a couple months traveling - climbing Mount Elgon, Tanzania safari's, Zanzibar beaches, and Victoria Falls - we headed back home to the USA! I had not been home the entire time I was in Africa so I was definitely experiencing some reverse culture shock. 

We first went to our respective homes (me to California and Paul to Wisconsin/Illinois) to see our families that we hadn't seen in years. After a week, Paul came out to California to meet my family and see the sights! We hung out for about a month exploring the sights of Northern CA, visiting friends, camping and waterskiing, and simply re-adjusting and enjoying being back home. 

A feathered friend overlooking Alcatraz in the San Francisco Bay

Me and my non-feathered friend, Leslie! We went to University together and can go years without seeing each other, but it always feels like yesterday! 

Paul overlooking SF and the Golden Gate Bridge

Roller blading in Monterey Bay (where we got married 2 years later!)

Monterey Bay Harbor Seals

My brother Scott and cousin Maddie (she is in 8th grade now, OMG.)

Teaching Paul to waterski - Look at that form! 

On the Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (my god we look young!)

Jelly exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium

Bringing a little piece of Uganda home to California. My parents, Paul and I in Ugandan dress. 

No comments: