Monday, June 26, 2017

The Greensides Take on South Africa - Exploring Joburg

I am so far behind in my pictures! When my family visited South Africa, we took a red bus tour of Joburg and Soweto. It doesn't compare to the red bus tours in the Cape, but I thought it was really great. I work down in Joburg, but I don't know that much about the city, so this was a great way for me to learn more about it.

The Hillbrow Tower, the tallest structure in Africa. I work, at Wits RHI, very close to here. 



Snapshots of Hillbrow and the surrounding neighborhoods


We took a tour of South African Breweries (SAB), formerly owned by Miller, and sold to Anheuser-Busch in 2016. They have a very unique and interesting tour, which I'm glad we finally did! Piper even got to taste a beer, she wasn't a big fan.


Joburg has amazing street art





FNB Stadium, built for the 2010 world cup in the shape of a calabash. Home of the Kaiser Chiefs (our nanny's favorite soccer team, arch enemies of the Orlando Pirates). We saw Santana there in 2015!

SOWETO = South West Township

Orlando Towers, formerly cooling towers for a coal power station, now an adrenaline junky playground



At the Hector Pieterson Memorial

At Mandela's house

Home of the Orlando Pirates (our gardener's favorite soccer team) arch enemies of the Kaiser Chiefs


Piper strutting her stuff in Joburg with Gramma


Follow along the other posts - The Greensides Take On South Africa:

No comments: