Friday, September 2, 2011

Underground at Luray Caverns

For years, when hiking, climbing, etc, we've driven by signs for Luray Caverns out on the west side of the Shenandoah Mountains, but we never stopped to check them out. So when my brother visited me last week I took the opportunity and we took a day trip out into the hills to check out what was going on underground.

The caverns are pretty impressive! They were discovered in 1878 and became a big tourist destination soon after.  The caverns have a number of large chambers with ceilings up to 10 stories high. There is also a decent size body of water in the caverns, although it is no deeper than 18 inches. The water is perfectly still and reflects the roof above it like a mirror. It's hard to tell the water is even there.




It was quite difficult taking pictures down there as it is pitch black except for the spot lights that are set up to illuminate the key features. I took all these pictures with 800 ISO handheld at f2.8, 1/20. I was pleasantly surprised that a good number of them came out pretty decent.




They even had a wishing well down in the caverns. Over the years they have collected more than $900,000 in coins that they have donated to local NGOs. It's hard to see it in the pictures but the pool is FULL of coins.


After exploring the underground caverns, my brother and I went above ground and got lost in the garden maze...but that will be for another post!

1 comment:

Ashley Sisk said...

I'm pretty amazed - that's a steady hand. You did a fantastic job capturing these caverns.